Gochar Mahavidyalay – A centre of Excellence
One of the oldest college started teaching in Saharanpur district of Western Utter Pradesh to cater the needs of society. Over a period of time it attained the centre of Excellence in teaching of Agriculture.
In early fifties there were no colleges to teach agriculture in Saharanpur district of western Uttar Pradesh. The most people of Western Uttar Pradesh were socio economically backward due to poor higher educational status. However, some of the rich people were used to go far off places to obtain their higher education. Chaudhary Multan Singh, an eminent Socialist & Educationalist started Gurjar Degree College in Rampur Maniharan district Saharanpur (UP) in 1959 with an objective to provide higher education in Agriculture and Science. The college has been affiliated to Chaudahry Charan Singh University, Meerut (UP). Later, during 1970s the name of college was changed as Gochar Mahavidyalaya. Though the college has been started to teach B.Sc. (Ag), presently apart from B.Sc. (Ag), the college is running courses viz., faculty of Arts, Science, Physical Education, Commerce, Management, Education, Home Science and BTC, etc. During 1988 the college has been upgraded as Post Graduate College with the PG courses of teaching and research in M. Sc (Ag) Chemistry, Agriculture Botany and Horticulture.
The following excellent infrastructural facilities are available to the students during the round clock.
- Well-furnished computer rooms
- Good library with more than 65000 books, journals, magazines, etc.
- Separate hostel facilities for Boys and Girls
- NSS (two units)
- First aid, multipurpose hall smart class rooms, research farm,
- Apart from education the students of the college are encouraged to participate in sports, yoga, meditation and other extracurricular activities.
Presently more than 3000 students are enrolled with different courses.
Further, many external funded projects were awarded from Department of Bio-Technology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India, University Grants Commission, NABARD, etc.
Students have received more than 100 medals in various competitions from many universities.
Gochar Mahavidyalaya will lead the society of the area towards their educational, agricultural ,cultural and scientific development
Gochar Mahavidyalaya Rampur Maniharan enshrines in its mission in future:
- Making effort to provide world class infrastructure to its faculty and students.
- Moving forward for all-round personality development of the students by enhancing their personality through extracurricular activities, games and sports.
- Agricultural, educational and cultural development of the society residing in the area.
- Educating people of the area to create awareness in them of eco system and environment, conservation of non renewable resources.
- Facilitating sustainable and advanced agriculture and animal husbandry, linking lab work of agriculture and animal husbandry to actual farming and dairying.
- Extending service to farmers and rural labor to avail benefits of latest researches and arrivals.
- Narrowing the gap between the farming community and global opportunity of cultivation, processing and marketing.
- Evolving promoting public private partnership for creating self employment and changing youth energy in positive and creative direction.